Have you ever bought a piece of furniture that you regretted buying? It happens more often than you think! When buying new furniture, you need to keep in mind the size of the room you are decorating. Although you may find a chair, sofa or table in a store that you absolutely love, you may not love that piece of furniture once it is in your home if it’s not the right size. It is easy to pick furniture that we find pretty but sometimes harder to know the appropriate size furniture and how to make the individual pieces work in harmony with each other.
Here are some tips on finding the right size furniture for your space!
For larger rooms…
- Large scale rooms should be filled with a few large scale items rather than lots of small scaled items (too many small scaled items can look cluttered).
- Larger rooms can handle heavy looking furniture including chunky feet, heavy roll or square arms, large loose back cushions and large accent pillows.
- In order to make large rooms feel more cozy, define space within the room using area rugs and multiple seating areas. Don’t line the walls with furniture, rather bring the furniture in to create cozy seating arrangements.
- Balance large scale furniture. For example, your sofa should be larger than the accent chair grouping. The side tables and coffee table should be relative in size to the seating furniture.
For smaller rooms…
- Keep it simple and “light”. When selecting a sofa, chose line cleans and compact size. Look for a leggy or open bottom and stick to solid colors. Consider going with armless chairs.
- Remember that furniture should never touch tough each other. Always allow enough space between pieces to avoid a crammed feeling. Forego side tables if you need more empy space in the room.
- Make sure there is at least 12″ (15″ is optimal) between the sofa and coffee table. Opt for a glass coffee table to create space and eliminate visual barriers.
Keeping these things in mind when entering the large showcase furniture stores will help you to select the appropriate size furniture for your rooms!