Window treatments are often thought of as either function or beauty but you can have both! I’ve met many people that don’t don’t know where to begin when deciding on window coverings. So if you feel lost about what to do with your windows, I’m hoping this analytical approach helps to guide you.
When you are shopping for window treatments, I do recommend thinking about function first. Things to consider are:
- Privacy… If you can see out during the day, most likely, someone can see in at night
- Light… Is there too much light? Do you need options of controlling the amount of light? Do you want to provide protection from UV rays to fabric and furniture?
- Energy… Do you want to keep warmth in during the winter and the heat out during the summer?
- Accessibility to windows… Try and to make sure that if you like to open windows and be able to clean them with ease that access is condusive
- Safety… Do your window treatments need to be kid and/or pet safe and free from cords?
After you give function careful thought, next is to think of beauty as well. After all, beauty and function can go hand in hand. Pay close attention to the following aspects:
- Proportion… You don’t want window treatments to take over the window nor do you want them to look as if they are barely there!
- View… When you look at your window, what do you see? A gorgeous view or something you would not rather see? This will play a role in choosing the right treatment as well. After all, you never want to cover up a beautiful view.
- Color… Are you looking to add drama to the decor of the room or something more subtle that will just accent what is already existing in the room?
– Patterns… Notice the effect and proportion of the patterns in the fabric. How will that look with existing furnishings?
– Texture… Adding different textures within a room is a great way to add interest to the decor